October is a big month, fall sets in and it’s the kick-off of the holiday season, a pivotal time of the year.
Fall and spring are most definitely my favorite times of the year, those transitional months light me up and create new energy within me. It seems this is when I really get the most done. Take this new season as an opportunity to create new habits that grow your business – Get Consistent with your content this month.
Why Do Holidays Make Great Social Posts?
What I love about holidays is that they seem to get the most interest and engagement on social media.
They are an opportunity to create content and offers of value. Blog posts, company news or article can, on their own, be content to scroll right on by, but a fun celebration post (tied into your business offerings) can be a great way to grab attention and engagement.
Not all of these will apply to you. Pick the ones that do and use them to create great posts. I have provided some ideas in the days below.
If you are looking for more unique days to your industry, a simple Google search of “days of for [your industry]” usually brings up specific days to note. Also visit, NationalDayCalendar.com and NationalToday.com to find more ideas.
These dates of celebration are chosen for local businesses across the US for large and small businesses ranging from:
- Cafe or bakery
- Specialty foodservice and stores
- Hair salon
- local shops
- fitness facilities and gyms
- medical and dental offices
- Local entities like fire and law enforcement
- Local service-based businesses like financial advisers, mortgage brokers, lenders, real estate agents, etc.
- Any local brick and mortar business serving a local community
How to use this resource.
1. Create a content calendar and plan out your month’s strategy using the holiday topics below.
2. Start writing captions, finding or creating images or graphics (Canva)
3. Start scheduling them out these social posts a week ahead, using Facebook’s Creator Studio for Facebook and Instagram feeds.
Make your social successful, don’t schedule on the fly.
Here are some ideas for marketing opportunities in October
If you are visual and like to print things out and post them where you can see them, as I do, then I made this download the printable calendar just for you.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
ADHD Awareness Month
Black History Month
Eat Better, Eat Together Month
Financial Planning Month
LGBT History Month
Adopt A Shelter Dog Month
– National Primary Care Physician Week – First Full Week of October
– National Healthcare Food Service Workers Week – First Full Week
– National Midwifery Week – Changes annually (end of September/beginning October)
– National Customer Service Week – First Full Week
– National Physician Assistants Week – Always October 6-12
– National Food Bank Week – Week of October 16th
– Veterinary Technicians Week – Third Week
– National Save for Retirement Week – Third Full Week
– National Chimney Safety Week – Week before Fire Prevention Week
– National Fire Prevention Week – Week of October 9th
– National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Weekend – October 8-9
– Veterinary Technicians Week – Third Week
– 10/1 International Coffee Day
– 10/5 World Teachers’ Day
– 10/6 National Noodle Day
– 10/6 World Smile Day (Dentists, encourage your patients to share their smiles in the comments)
– 10/9 Columbus Day
– 10/9 World Post Day
– 10/10 World Mental Health Day
– 10/12 National Farmers Day (Farmers Market Mangers, post a special message to your farmers and ask the community to do the same. Whether you’re a business in the ag industry or not, you can always #ThankAFarmer for feeding us!)
– 10/13 The Navy’s Birthday
– 10/14 Dessert Day (Restaurants, feature photos of your desserts, other businesses share recipes of your favorite desserts)
– 10/15 Int’l. Day of Rural Women
– 10/17 National Pasta Day (Restaurants, pasta specials)
– 10/15– National Medical Assistants Day
– 10/24 United Nations Day
– 10/31 – Halloween (Safe Trick or Treating, Participate in a Trunk or Treat) pending COVID restrictions this year!
LOCAL THINGS HAPPENING
This is where you want to share anything happening in your local area.
Here in Carson City, Nevada we have our annual Nevada Day Parade, which is one of our biggest events in the area.
Now this year will be very different from the normal 3-hour long parade with mini-events all over the city. It’s a BIG deal.
It is a great opportunity for our local businesses to sponsor the event, get involved, have a float and have their brand posted all over the place – on memorabilia, hot air balloons, in the official event program, local news and media promotions online and print, and social media.
This event brings statewide recognition to our city and for those businesses that participate.
Think of events, big or small, that can help get your businesses brand out into the community. How can you contribute to your community? What is going on in your community that you can support (did your local high school football team win big? Celebrate! Check your local news sources to find these feel-good stories and use them!